Whether you're sending your customer data to a third-party software or just making backups, the Export Tool makes it easy to export your customer information with a few clicks.
Choosing an Export Template
An export template determines specifically what customer information you're exporting. All export templates will include details like the customer's name and email address, but you can get more granular about other details. For a full list of exportable information, see the table of Exportable Fields.
BigCommerce comes with a few customer export templates built in:
- Bulk Edit (recommended) — The bulk edit template was made for updating your customer information. It includes the majority of exportable fields, and has specifically named columns that let you skip steps in the importing process.
- Default — The default template includes only basic product details such as name, weight, description, and price.
- MYOB — This template is specifically for exporting to MYOB accounting software
- Peachtree — This template is specifically for exporting to Peachtree accounting software.
You can also create a custom export template and select which of the exportable fields you want it to include.
Exporting Your Customers
1. Go to Customers › Export.
2. Select your export settings.
- Template — We recommend Bulk Edit or a custom export template.
- File Format — You can export your file as a CSV (recommended) or XML. You can only re-import CSV files, not XML or any other file type.
- Save export to the server for later download? — Select this option to save the file to your exports folder in WebDAV (recommended for exporting 1000+ customers).
3. Click Continue, then click Export my customers to a CSV file.
4. When the file is ready for download, click the download link.
Below is a table of all customer attributes that are exportable via a CSV. The majority of these fields are included when using the Bulk Edit export template. See Custom Export Template Fields for a list of fields that do not appear in the Bulk Edit template but can be added to a custom export template.
|The customer's email email@example.com|
|First Name||The customer's first name||John|
|Last Name||The customer's last name||Smith|
|Company||The company, if the customer orders on behalf of a business||Acme, Inc.|
|Phone||Customer's phone number||555-555-5555|
|Notes||Your notes about the customer||Customer is tax-exempt|
|Store Credit||Use this to apply store credit for the customer to use when shopping. (This will allow the customer to pay with store credit.)||50 (uses your default currency; e.g. 50 = $50 if you are using USD)|
|Customer Group||Assigned customer group if using the Customer Group feature||Retail|
|Addresses||Contains the following fields:|
|Address ID||The unique system-created ID for the address||Number|
|Address First Name||The first name associated with a particular address||Sarah Jane|
|Address Last Name||The last name associated with a particular address||Smith|
|Address Company||The company associated with a particular address||Acme, Inc.|
|Address Line 1||The first line with an address; normally contains street and house/housing complex number||123 Main St|
|Address Line 2||The second line with an address; normally contains care of information and unit or building number||Apartment 201|
|City/Suburb||The address' city or suburb||Austin|
|State/Province||The address' state or province||Texas|
|Zip/Postcode||The address zip or postal code||78726|
|Country||The address country||United States|
|Address Phone||The phone number associated with that address||555-555-5555|
|Address Form Fields||If you created address form fields, your customers' responses will be included here||Question: Where did you hear about us? Response: Online ad|
|Form Fields||If you created form fields, your customers' responses will be included here||Question: Where did you hear about us? Response: Online ad|
|Receive Marketing Emails||Records whether the client opted in or out of receiving product review requests or abandoned cart emails||1 = Yes, 0 = No|
CUSTOM EXPORT TEMPLATE FIELDS
These fields are not exported in the Bulk Edit export template by default but can be added to a custom export template.
|Customer ID||The system-created unique ID for the customer||Number|
|Customer Name||The customer's first and last name||John Smith|
|Date Joined||The date the customer account was created||10/15/2017|
|Address: Address Name||The full name associated with a particular address, can be different from the customer placing the order||Sarah Jane Smith|
|Address: State Abbreviation||The abbreviated form of the address' state or province||TX|
|Address: Building Type||The address building type (commercial or residential). Used for shipping purposes.||Residential or Commercial|
|Orders||The number of orders the customer has placed (exportable only)||2|
|Tax Exempt Category||Only used if you have linked your paid Avalara account.||See tax exempt category code|