Adding and Editing Fields in the Account Signup Form
When creating an account or during checking out, customers are required to enter some basic account and address information. These fields can be changed to display a different label, show default or example text, or have their order rearranged.
Depending on your business, adding to or changing your store's default form fields can help you learn more about your customers and improve your workflow. For example, many merchants commonly add a "How did you hear about us?" field to help track marketing efforts.
You can also use custom fields to survey and collect additional information about your customers, like their communications preferences. Go to Advanced Settings › Account Signup Form to access and change your store's account sign-up and address forms.
Account Signup Fields
BigCommerce stores allow customers to create an account to encourage shoppers to return by making the checkout process faster.
There are three built-in customer account sign-up fields which are necessary for the customer account functionality to work:
- Email Address
- Confirm Password
These fields cannot be removed but can be renamed if necessary. Additional form fields, both required and optional, may be added to the account sign-up form.
Customers with an account can save their address information in your store, so that the next time they visit, they do not have to enter it again. The same form is used for both the billing and shipping address, though the data they provide for each can be different from one another.
There are seven built-in required address fields which are necessary for shipping functionality to work:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Address Line 1
There are three additional built-in fields, but they are not required:
- Phone Number
- Company Name
- Address Line 2
These fields cannot be removed but can be renamed if necessary. Other form fields, both required and optional, may be added to the address form.
There is no limit to the number of form fields a checkout can have, but we recommend keeping the check out as short as possible. Having an extended checkout experience can affect your conversion rate.
1. Go to Advanced Settings › Account Signup Form, then click the Create a New Field drop-down.
2. Select which type of field to create.
3. Each type will have a different setup window, but they all will have a name, value, and required element. The Field Name is the customer-facing label that appears to the left of that field on the storefront. You may also designate a Default Value if you would like the field to be pre-filled with a call-to-action or example text data.
Required specifies if this particular field must be filled, selected or checked before submitting the form. By default, required fields appear with an asterisk (*) on the storefront.
In our example, we have added an optional text field for Pet Name to the address form and made its default value Enter your pet's name here.
You can rearrange fields by selecting and dragging them up or down in the list.
1. Check the box(es) next to the field you want to remove, then click Delete Selected.
2. You can also select Delete from the Action drop-down selector to the right of each field. Built in fields cannot be removed.
- Checkboxes — creates one or more checkbox fields
- Date Field — allows a customer to specify a date. You can specify a date range from which to choose from.
- Multiline Text Field — a larger text field for inputting larger amounts of data
- Numbers Only — similar to a regular text field, but validates for numbers only. You can specify a valid number range for the customer to input.
- Password Field — a text field that hides the data typed on the customer's screen for security purposes
- Radio Buttons — multiple choice option that presents all values. A customer selects their desired value by filling in the circle to the left of it.
- Text Field — a simple text field, like First Name
- Pick List — a multiple choice option that presents values in a drop-down menu. This can help to save screen real-estate for lists with many values.
All form fields can have a custom CSS Class Name and Inline CSS Style applied. Some form field types also include settings for determining Field Size and Maximum Field Length.
To access these:
1. Go to Advanced Settings › Account Signup Form.
2. If you are changing an address field, click the Address Fields tab. If not, move on to step 3.
3. Click the Action icon, then Edit on the field you want to change.
4. Make your desired adjustments, then Save your changes.