Customizing Email Templates
What We'll Cover
The emails sent out from your store automatically, such as the invoice email or the order status update, can be customized to match your brand. For a full list of store-sent emails see Email Template Files and Snippets.
Note that only the emails' body content can be edited. It is NOT possible to change the subject lines.
Editing Email Templates
Editing your store's email templates is a great way to add a personal touch and branding to the emails that are sent to your customers.
1. Go to Storefront Design › Design Options, then click More › Emails.
2. You will see a list of the email sent by the store. Edit any file by clicking Action › Edit.
For a complete list of the email template files, snippets, and their uses, see Email Template Files and Snippets.
To edit snippets, which are smaller files used in the email templates, click the + button to the left of the snippets folder, then click Action › Edit.
3. From this point, you can edit the templates either in the WYSIWYG Editor or by editing their HTML directly. To edit the HTML directly, click the Edit HTML Source button on the second row of icons on the WYSIWYG editor.
All of the email content is generated by variable and snippet codes. For example, the 'Thanks for Your Order' text in the invoice email is generated by the %%LNG_ThanksForYourOrder%% variable in the invoice_email.html file shown below.
Viewing Your Changes
At this time there is no preview feature for email template customizations. In order to view the changes you have made to a template, you must complete the action that causes that particular email to send. For example, to view changes to the invoice_email.html template you must create a test order on your storefront and have the invoice email sent to yourself.
Common Email Customizations
- Removing "Powered by BigCommerce" from Emails
- Adding a Logo to the Invoice Email
- Customizing the Invoice Email's 'Thanks for Your Order' Text
- Adding Custom Text to the Invoice Email
- Adding Customer Email Addresses to the Invoice Email
- Adding Social Media Icons to the Bottom of Your Emails