Connecting with PayPal powered by Braintree | Automated Setup
PayPal powered by Braintree is our recommended payment gateway, which features credit card processing, advanced fraud protection, and an in-context PayPal window that lets your customers pay with PayPal without ever leaving your site.
If your business is based in the US, UK, or France, you can use our automated setup with PayPal powered by Braintree by following the steps below. Note that PayPal Credit is not available to merchants in the UK or France at this time.
Enabling PayPal powered by Braintree
- I'm new to BigCommerce and would like to use PayPal powered by Braintree
- I'm already a BigCommerce merchant but would like to switch to PayPal powered by Braintree
I'm new to BigCommerce and would like to use PayPal powered by Braintree
1. Go to Store Setup › Payment.
2. You will see a banner for PayPal powered by Braintree. It has been enabled for you automatically, allowing you to start taking payments immediately.
You will be able to accept up to $2500 or 25 transactions from customers before submitting your merchant account application to Braintree and having your account approved. We recommend submitting an application as soon as possible, as funds will be disbursed to you only when your application is complete and the account is approved (see Applying to PayPal powered by Braintree). Until you are fully approved, you should not ship goods or provide services.
Click Complete Setup to begin the application process. Click No thanks, deactivate payment method if you'd rather use a different payment gateway.
US Based Merchants
UK/France Based Merchants
I'm already a BigCommerce merchant but would like to switch to PayPal powered by Braintree
1. Go to Store Setup › Payment.
2. You will see a banner for PayPal powered by Braintree. Click Get Started to begin the application process.
US Based Merchants
UK/France Based Merchants
Applying to PayPal powered by Braintree
1. Click Connect with Braintree.
US Based Merchants
UK/France Based Merchants
2. You will be taken step by step through the PayPal powered by Braintree sign-up process. If you are signing up with your personal account, you will need to contact PayPal to have them upgrade the personal account into a business account. So we recommend using a separate email address if you prefer to keep them separate.
Signing Up for Braintree
1. Create a new PayPal powered by Braintree account using your email address or PayPal account. If you have an existing Braintree account, sign in under Already have a Braintree account?.
Need to go? Don't worry if you need to leave the application and come back to finish later. You can come back to the application anytime by returning to the PayPal powered by Braintree Settings page and signing in under Already have a Braintree account? with the credentials you created above.
2. Fill in the business information fields about yourself and your business to assist Braintree in verifying your identity during the reviewing process. You will be asked to provide your Social Security number, as this is required to complete the identity verification and required credit check.
3. Link your PayPal Business account, as all your credit card and PayPal payments will be processed through your PayPal powered by Braintree account. If you don’t have a PayPal Business account, you can create one now by entering in your email and completing the setup later at PayPal.com.
4. Give Braintree your final approval to connect BigCommerce and PayPal powered by Braintree.
Pro Tip! If you do plan on using another payment gateway during the approval process, you can temporarily disable PayPal powered by Braintree using the visibility toggle to avoid any confusion at checkout.
Getting Approved for PayPal powered by Braintree
Once you submit your application, you will receive an email confirmation from email@example.com. You can start taking payments, however you should wait to ship goods or provide services until getting full approval. The email confirmation will et you know if you need to provide Braintree with any additional documentation for your application.
1. Submit any additional documentation requested by Braintree. Use the button in the email to ensure speedy processing.
2. Complete the first transaction on your storefront. (You can purchase something and refund yourself later.) Alternatively, log in to your Braintree Control Panel to manually start your application review. You’ll see a notification in the email to kick off this review. One of these is required by Braintree while reviewing your application.
3. Watch for an email confirmation that you have been fully approved. After approval, Braintree will deposit funds into your bank account within 2-3 days for any payments received while you were waiting for approval.
Payment Gateway Settings
When returning to your BigCommerce control panel, go to the PayPal powered by Braintree Settings tab. From here you can configure or enable several payment gateway settings, including:
- Advanced fraud protection settings
- Display name for the Braintree/credit card option on your store (we recommend "Credit card")
- Specify a Merchant Account ID (Optional)
- Authorize and capture settings
- Checkout with PayPal (toggle on or off)
- Checkout with PayPal Credit (toggle on or off)
- Enable PayPal Banners
- Checkout with Visa Checkout (toggle on or off)
- Checkout with Google Pay (toggle on or off)
- Enable 3D Secure (toggle on or off)
- Enable Stored Credit Cards (toggle on or off)
Enabling Fraud Protection
PayPal powered by Braintree provides basic and advanced fraud filters to help you protect your account against fraudulent activity and take control of your business. You'll also have the option of adding 3D Secure, which adds another layer of verification during checkout. Note that while this feature does add extra security, it also adds extra friction at checkout.
To set up basic fraud controls in PayPal powered by Braintree, you'll first need to log in to your Braintree control panel. In your Braintree merchant account, go to Settings › Processing › Fraud Tools. You'll have access to a list of processing and fraud settings:
- Duplicate Transaction Checking
- Risk Thresholds
- Card Verification - Retry All Failed $0
- Advanced Fraud Tools
Duplicate Transaction Checking
This setting rejects transactions if another successful transaction has been completed with the same payment method, order ID, and amount within the last X seconds. X can be set to up to 3600, or one hour. This setting is useful if your customer clicks the back button, refreshes the page, or anything else that might cause the transaction to be put through twice. Note: This setting only applies to credit card transactions, not to transactions done through PayPal.
Recommended settings: Enabled; 30 seconds.
AVS or Address Verification System rules determine when transactions and verifications should be rejected based on address criteria. For example, you can set whether a transaction should be rejected if the postal code doesn't match what the customer's card issuing bank has on file.
Recommended settings: At this time, Country Scope must be set to United States Only.
CVV rules determine when to reject transactions based on whether the merchant has provided the correct CVV associated with the credit card.
Risk Threshold Rules
Risk Threshold rules can be set up to notify you or reject transactions that follow particular trends. Their purpose is to protect you from card attacks. See Risk Threshold Rules on Braintree's support site for more information.
Card Verification - Retry All Failed $0
If enabled, a failed $0 authorization will always be retried as a $1 authorization regardless of the processor response. If disabled, a failed $0 authorization will only be retried as a $1 authorization for the following processor responses:
- 2015 (Transaction Not Allowed)
- 2019 (Invalid Transaction)
- 2023 (Processor Does Not Support This Feature)
- 2027 (Set Up Error - Amount)
- 2048 (Invalid Amount)
Recommended setting: Enabled
Advanced Fraud Tools
- Setting up Kount
- Kount Event Notification System (ENS)
- Setting up User Defined Fields in Kount
- Setting up 3D Secure
Advanced Fraud Tools, through the use of Kount, helps to identify and prevent fraudulent activity before a transaction or verification ever reaches a merchant's bank. This feature is not enabled by default. See Advanced Fraud Tools on Braintree's support site for more information.
Setting up Kount
To enable Kount through Braintree's Advanced Fraud Tools, merchants:
- Must be on Optimized One-Page Checkout
- Must have a Braintree Direct account
- Must have Braintree configured on BigCommerce
- Must have Advanced Fraud Tools enabled on your Braintree Direct account
This integration supports:
- Credit card transactions through Braintree
- Orders created through the storefront
To create a Braintree Direct account:
For merchants who do not have an existing Braintree account — Apply for a Braintree Direct account and follow the on screen prompts.
For merchants who already have a PayPal Powered by Braintree account — Follow the steps below.
1. Apply for a Braintree Direct account and follow the on screen prompts.
2. When entering your information, update the following fields as described below:
- Business Description — enter New account for BC/Kount setup - existing PPpbBT Account: XXXX. Replace XXXX with your existing Merchant Public ID/Prod ID.
- Have an existing account with Braintree? — Select Yes.
Once you submit, Braintree will reach out to you if they have any follow up questions. After the account has been created, you can request that Kount Standard or Kount Custom be enabled on your Braintree Direct account.
Kount Event Notification System (ENS)
Optionally, enable the Event Notification System (ENS) in Kount. The ENS in Kount allows the order status in BigCommerce to be updated based on a manual approval or decline of the transaction in Kount.
To set up the Event Notification System (ENS), go to Store Setup › Payments in the BigCommerce control panel and click the Braintree tab to view its settings. Copy the Kount URL from your Braintree settings.
Log into your Kount integration. Go to Fraud Control › Websites then edit the Row OPT-IN. Paste the Kount URL that you copied from BigCommerce into the field labeled Merchant ENS URL and set ‘ENS Enabled’ to YES. Click Update Website. This will enable the Kount Event Notification System on your store.
Setting up User Defined Fields in Kount
Kount allows you to create fraud rules based on additional information that gets passed into Kount with each transaction, using User Defined Fields (UDF).
The additional information passed into Kount includes:
- Product names
- Products SKUs
- Product quantities
- Product unit prices
- Order total
- Order discount
You will first need to set up custom fields in Braintree before creating UDF in Kount. See Braintree's support article on creating a custom field for more information. Be sure to select Store and Pass Back once you've entered a custom field API name to pass with your code.
You must add all of the custom fields below to Braintree in order to use this feature.
Log in to Kount once you have finished adding custom fields. For more information on setting up User Defined Fields, see Kount's documentation article. The following User Definited Fields are required, along with the data formatting type:
- products_names — alphanumeric
- products_skus — alphanumeric
- products_quantities — alphanumeric
- products_unit_prices — alphanumeric
- numeric_order_total — number
- numeric_order_discount — number
After setting up custom fields and user defined fields, you can create fraud rules.
1. Click on Fraud Control, and select Rules from the dropdown.
2. Click Add Rule, then click to expand User Defined Fields.
3. Select one of the fields. Define your conditions, and apply the decision that should be made when those conditions are met.
4. Uncheck Disabled under Rule Actions, and add a rule description. Click Create Rule.
Once you have finished adding your rules, you will need to save them as a rules set in order to use them.
1. Type in the name for your rules set into the textbox field at the top, then click Save.
2. To activate the rules set, click Activate Rule Set under Rule Set Actions in the side menu.
It will take around 10 minutes for your new rules to take effect on the storefront. While you wait, click to enable Kount User Defined Fields in Braintree to complete the process.
We recommend making a test order purchase to ensure that your rules are working as expected.
Setting up 3D Secure
3D Secure is a payment processing security feature that requires customers to enter a password that is tied to their credit card when making a purchase. Customers who do not have 3D Secure set up will be prompted to do so. This security feature reduces the chance of fraudulent activity on both the card and for your store.
To set up 3D secure for PayPal powered by Braintree, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request it be enabled in your account. Once you receive confirmation of its implementation, in BigCommerce, go to Store Setup › Payments and click the Braintree Settings tab.
Toggle the Enable 3D Secure switch to ON and Save your changes.