Connecting with PayPal powered by Braintree | Automated Setup
PayPal powered by Braintree is our recommended payment gateway, which features credit card processing, advanced fraud protection, and an in-context PayPal window that lets your customers pay with PayPal without ever leaving your site.
If your business is based in the United States, you can use our automated setup with PayPal powered by Braintree by following the steps below.
Enabling PayPal powered by Braintree
- I'm new to BigCommerce and would like to use PayPal powered by Braintree
- I'm already a BigCommerce merchant but would like to switch to PayPal powered by Braintree
I'm new to BigCommerce and would like to use PayPal powered by Braintree
1. Go to Store Setup › Payment.
2. You will see a banner for PayPal powered by Braintree. It has been enabled for your automatically, allowing you to start taking payments immediately.
You will be able to accept up to $2500 or 25 transactions from customers. The funds will be disbursed once your application is complete and the account is approved (see Applying to PayPal powered by Braintree). Click Complete Setup to begin the application process. Click No thanks, deactivate payment method if you'd rather use a different payment gateway.
I'm already a BigCommerce merchant but would like to switch to PayPal powered by Braintree
1. Go to Store Setup › Payment.
2. You will see a banner for PayPal powered by Braintree. Click Get Started to begin the application process.
Applying to PayPal powered by Braintree
1. Click Connect with Braintree.
2. You will be taken step by step through the PayPal powered by Braintree sign-up process. If you are signing up with your personal account, you will need to contact PayPal to have them upgrade the personal account into a business account. So we recommend using a separate email address if you prefer to keep them separate.
Signing Up for Braintree
1. Start by creating an account. You can create a new PayPal powered by Braintree account using your email address or PayPal account. If you have an existing Braintree account, sign in under Already have a Braintree account?.
Need to go? Don't worry if you need to leave the application and come back to finish later. You can come back to the application anytime by returning to the PayPal powered by Braintree Settings page and signing in under Already have a Braintree account? with the credentials you created above. We will take you back to where you left off.
2. Tell us about yourself and your business. Getting to know you will allow us to verify your identity and complete our review process. You will be asked to provide your Social Security number, as it is required to complete the identity verification and the required credit check.
3. Link your PayPal account. If you have a PayPal Business account you can link it here. All your card credit and PayPal payments will be processed through your PayPal powered by Braintree account to make reporting a snap. Don’t have a PayPal Business account? We can get one started for you here using your email, and you can go to PayPal.com and complete the setup later.
4. Give us the green light! Give Braintree your final approval to connect BigCommerce and PayPal powered by Braintree.
5. Take payments on your site! While Braintree processes your application, you can take payments on your site using PayPal powered by Braintree. You will be able to accept up to $2500 or 25 transactions from customers. Until you are fully approved, you should not ship goods or provide services.
If you do plan on using another payment gateway during the approval process, you can temporarily disable PayPal powered by Braintree using the visibility toggle to avoid any confusion at checkout.
Getting Approved for PayPal powered by Braintree
Once you submit your application, you will receive an email confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org. This lets you know we have your applications and you can start taking payments. However, you should wait to ship goods and provide services until getting full approval. The email confirmation will also let you know if you need to provide us with any additional documentation for us to complete the review of our application.
1. Submit any additional documentation requested by Braintree. Use the button in the email to ensure speedy processing.
2. Complete the first transaction on your storefront. (You can purchase something and refund yourself later.) Alternatively, log in to your Braintree Control Panel to manually start your application review. You’ll see a notification in the email to kick off this review. One of these is needed for Braintree to continue to review your application.
3. Watch for an email confirmation that you have been fully approved. After approval, we will deposit funds for any payments you received while you were waiting for our approval into your bank account within 2-3 days.
Payment Gateway Settings
When returning to your BigCommerce control panel, go to the PayPal powered by Braintree Settings tab. From here you can select several payment gateway settings, including: