Connecting with Amazon Pay
Amazon Pay is a trusted and familiar payment solution that allows customers to pay on a BigCommerce store with their Amazon credentials. It uses the shipping addresses and payment methods stored in customers' Amazon accounts to make checking out quick and easy. Amazon Pay can help improve your conversion rate and grow your customer relationships by reducing unnecessary friction at checkout.
- You must have an Amazon Pay Merchant Account.
- Your store must be using Optimized One Page Checkout.
- You must be based in one of the following countries:
- The Netherlands
- United Kingdom
- United States
Setting up Amazon Pay (US)
1. Go to Store Setup › Payments, expand Online Payment Methods, then click the Set up button next to Amazon Pay.
2. You will be taken to the Amazon Pay Settings tab. Click Connect with Amazon Pay to begin the sign-up process.
3. If you already have an Amazon Pay Merchant Account, click the Sign-In link. Otherwise, fill in the form with your name, email, and password, then click Create your Amazon account.
5. Click Agree and continue to associate your Amazon Seller Account with your BigCommerce store.
6. On the final registration step, you will be asked to transfer your account's credentials to BigCommerce. Click Transfer Credentials to complete setup and return to the Amazon Pay Settings page in BigCommerce.
For additional guidance, see this tutorial.
Setting up Amazon Pay (EU)
1. Go to Store Setup › Payments, expand Online Payment Methods, then click the Set up button next to Amazon Pay.
2. You'll be taken to the Amazon Pay Settings tab. Click Connect with Amazon Pay to begin the sign-up process.
3. Confirm your eligibility for Amazon Pay, and click Continue.
4. If you already have an Amazon Pay Merchant Account, click the Sign-In link. Otherwise, fill in the form with your name, email, and password, then click Create your Amazon account.
6. Read the agreement for associating your Amazon Pay account with BigCommerce, and click Agree and continue to proceed.
7. On the final registration step, you will be asked to transfer your account's credentials to BigCommerce. Click BigCommerce UK to complete the setup and return to the Amazon Pay Settings page in BigCommerce.
Amazon Pay Settings
Amazon Pay Settings can be reached by going to Store Setup › Payments and selecting the Amazon Pay Settings tab.
There are three settings that you can toggle.
- Transaction Type — Authorize and Capture or Authorize Only (see Manually Capturing Transactions for details)
- Test Mode — determines whether your store is Test Mode. When Test Mode is set to Yes, all transactions will be posted to the Sandbox transaction view in Amazon Seller Central. No live payment or funds will be captured. Set to No when you are ready to take payments.
- Custom Billing Descriptor — control what shoppers will see on their statement when they make a purchase through the payment gateway. The billing descriptor shown on the shopper’s billing statement will always be AMZ* followed by the value set on this field (up to 16 characters).
- Disable Amazon Pay Account — Allows you to disable Amazon Pay from your store in the event you want to stop accepting payment through Amazon Pay. Your Amazon Pay credentials remain stored in BigCommerce, so that when you decide to re-enable Amazon Pay on your store, you do not have to through Amazon Pay onboarding again.
- Disconnect Amazon Pay Account — Allows you to disconnect Amazon Pay from your store, and automatically deletes all of your Amazon Pay credentials within BigCommerce so that you can sign into another Amazon Pay account if necessary. This requires you to go through Amazon Pay onboarding again.
Alexa Delivery Notifications
Delivery Notifications through Alexa will allow anyone using Amazon Pay on your site to get order updates through Alexa when an item is out for delivery and when it's delivered, via the tracking information used in the shipping details. Your customers can avoid the hassle of looking up tracking numbers and searching online, and just ask Alexa.
Because delivery notifications are sent through shoppers’ own Amazon account (via Amazon Pay), they are in control of their own shopping notification settings at all times. They can adjust these settings by logging into their Amazon account or by going to the Settings menu in the Alexa app. Customers can toggle “Out for Delivery” and “Delivered” notifications, among other settings.
Shoppers won’t be asked to setup new accounts, create new passwords, or download a new Alexa skill to enable this service — delivery notifications are already built into Alexa’s native functionality.
- Your store must be on Optimized One-Page Checkout.
- Your store must have Amazon Pay configured.
- Your store must not be using custom shipping codes.
At the bottom of your Amazon Pay settings page, click Install.
Click Confirm for the app permissions that Alexa requires on the next screen.
Delivery notifications through Alexa are now enabled for your store. Whenever you enter shipping details for an Amazon Pay order, delivery notifications will be automatically triggered. You can review past order status notifications and manually resend an order notification directly from the app.
When your customer is checking out, they'll be given the option to log in to their Amazon accounts on the add-to-cart pop-up page, the cart page, and the checkout page.
The customer will be directed to Amazon asking them to enter their Amazon username and password.
The customer's shipping and payment information will be made available in the Amazon widget respectively. Customers can change their shipping or payment details if they need to use a different option.
After confirming their payment and shipping preferences, the customer is returned to your store's checkout page. From here, they can finalize/place their order. At this point, customers can still change their Amazon Pay payment and shipping settings if they need to, or sign out of Amazon Pay completely and select a different payment method.
Styling the Button
No extra action is required for the buttons to appear. However, you will need to use the Stencil CLI to adjust the styling.
- Check Panels/HTMLHead.html for %%GLOBAL_AdditionalScriptTags%%
- Look for %%GLOBAL_AdditionalCheckoutButtons%% in the following template files:
%%GLOBAL_AdditionalCheckoutButtons%% controls where the button shows up. If it's missing in any of the above files, paste it into the appropriate file. You can then adjust the styling by editing the styles.css template file.
- Pricing and Fees
- Account Eligibility
- Additional Features
- Troubleshooting and Payment Disputes
- Alexa Delivery Notifications
Why aren't my orders showing up in advanced search?
If you are in v2, orders made prior to your migration will not display. However, you can view them by locating the URL section &paymentMethod=checkout_amazonpay and replacing it with &paymentMethod=checkout_amazonpay&paymentMethod=checkout_amazon.
Pricing and Fees
What fees are associated with Amazon Pay?
For detailed information about pricing and fees, see Amazon's article on Amazon Pay Fees.
What do I need to be eligible to register for Amazon Pay?
Amazon Pay is only available to merchants on the new Optimized One Page Checkout.
Are there any restrictions for merchants?
See Amazon's list in their Acceptable Use Policy.
Does Amazon Pay allow authorize-only payments?
Yes. For information on how to capture funds manually in the BigCommerce control panel, see Manually Capturing Transactions.
How much of a window will I have to capture a transaction when set to Authorize Only?
Merchants will have a 30 day window to capture a transaction. After 30 days, you can attempt to collect funds via Seller Central.
Where can I find information about payments that are processed by Amazon Pay?
After I create an account, what is the waiting period before I can process transactions?
There will be a 20 minute waiting period for new accounts. If you already have an Amazon Seller Account, make sure the TIN or EIN has been set up. If not, log into your Amazon Seller Account to complete your tax information.
How long until a transaction's funds are transferred to my bank?
Once captured, the transaction will typically settle the same day. However, this may vary depending on the timing of the fund being settled to your account and what reserve tier you are in. See Amazon Pay reserve policy to learn more.
Will I or my customers receive an additional email or invoice from Amazon Pay?
You will be sent an email when the transaction has been settled. Shoppers will be sent an email when an order has been confirmed.
Can I edit the amount of an order?
Yes. You can add another authorization up to 15% of the order total or $75, whichever is lower. This should only be used when adjusting for shipment estimates. Should the customer want to change their order, we recommend cancelling and refunding the erroneous order, and having the customer create a new order.
Does Amazon Pay support multiple shipping addresses?
No, today, multiple shipping addresses are not supported by Amazon Pay. To accomplish this please place separate orders.
Does Amazon Pay support gift cards?
Does Amazon Pay support multicurrency? (supported by BigCommerce multicurrency)
Yes, the following currencies are supported in the integration:
- Australian Dollar (AUD)
- British Pound (GBP)
- Danish Krone (DKK)
- Euro (EUR)
- Hong Kong Dollar (HKD)
- Japanese Yen (JPY)
- New Zealand Dollar (NZD)
- Norwegian Krone (NOK)
- South African Rand (ZAR)
- Swedish Krone (SEK)
- Swiss Franc (CHF)
- United States Dollar (USD)
Note: Multicurrency is only supported for the EU and UK regions.
To learn more about the benefits of this feature, see our Product Blog post.
To learn more about managing currencies, see Managing Currencies.
Accepting payment through Amazon Pay in a currency other than your store’s default currency (i.e. your “Ledger Currency”), will incur additional cross-border conversion fees in your Amazon Pay account. For more info regarding Amazon Pay’s multi-currency fees, see here.
How soon after a transaction can I perform a refund?
A refund request can be done immediately after a capture completes successfully. The order status will update once Amazon Pay has confirmed the request, which can take 1-2 hours.
Is there an amount of time after which I cannot perform a refund?
No time restrictions are imposed by Amazon. However, the likelihood of the payment processor declining the refund increases with time.
Are there any fees for chargebacks/refunds?
There are no fees for refunds. See Amazon's Chargeback FAQ to learn more about handling chargebacks.
Are there any fraud protection options available?
No specific fraud protection options are available. However, Amazon covers for fraud so long as physical goods are shipped to the shipping address selected during the checkout process.
What are the fraud benefits of Amazon Pay?
Buyers are protected by Amazon's A to Z Guarantee for physical goods:
Can I add my logo to the Amazon login screen?
Yes. Log into your Amazon Pay account and go to Integration › Integration Central from the navigation bar.
From the Integration Central page, scroll down to the Manage client ID/store ID(s) section, and click View client ID/store ID(s).
Select the entry in the App or store name dropdown that has the same Client ID / Store ID as shown in your Amazon Pay settings page within BigCommerce control panel, then click Edit on the right hand side of the app details.
Click Choose File under Upload a logo to select the file you'd like to use. Click Save changes once you are done.
Does Amazon provide customer information to the merchant?
After the customer logs in to Amazon Pay, the merchant is provided with the customer's name, email address, and address from their Amazon Pay account.
Can I capture from Seller Central?
We recommend merchants capture in BigCommerce to keep order records up to date in the BigCommerce control panel. However, it is possible to capture in Seller Central via the Collect Payment function within the Orders tab Manage Transactions.
Where can I find Amazon Pay reports?
Amazon Pay is included in BigCommerce reports similar to other payment methods. Additional reports (such as order reconciliation and settlement data) are available in SellerCentral by logging into your SellerCentral account and selecting Reports in the navigation bar. See, Amazon's Using Seller Central for more information.
Does Amazon Pay work with Shipper HQ?
Yes. For merchants using ShipperHQ who want to take advantage of shipping address validation in the Amazon Pay address selection page, you must also have shipping zones configured within your BigCommerce control panel. Otherwise the address selected will be validated in the checkout review page.
Troubleshooting and Payment Disputes
Why did my customer receive an error when trying to pay?
How are payment disputes handled?
See Amazon's Handling Customer Disputes.
How do I contact Amazon Pay Support?
Contact channels can be found at Amazon Pay Merchant Support.
Does the customer see the consent screen every time they want to checkout with Amazon Pay?
No, the customer only sees that screen the first time they pay with Amazon and will not be prompted again for that same application unless they revoke consent via Amazon.com.
Google Analytics: Does Amazon show as a referrer on checkout pages when a customer selects Amazon Pay?
Yes. If you do not want Amazon (third-party payment processor) to show as a referrer on checkout pages, add Amazon as a referral exclusion. See, Google's Referral exclusions support article for more information.
Does Amazon Pay make it clear that a customer is not actually completing the purchase immediately following the login screen?
When a customer selects Amazon Pay they are greeted with a screen that specifically states: Sign in with your Amazon Account and Speed thru checkout: Access your shipping and payment information from your Amazon Payments account. We do not set the expectation that signing in will complete your purchase or be a one click checkout process.
Alexa Delivery Notifications
What does it cost?
Nothing. It's free!
Will customers receive notifications on orders that didn't use Amazon Pay for payment?
No, they must be orders using Amazon Pay in order to link with the customer's Alexa device.
Does the customer notification include information about the item?
No, Amazon Pay only collects the total amount charged and not item level detail.
How can I check that order notifications are being sent?
This can be done by checking the log within the BigCommerce Alexa app.