Connecting the Square Payment Gateway
Our integration with Square makes it easy for brick-and-mortar stores already using Square to launch and grow an online store. By enabling the Square payment gateway, you can accept payments for your BigCommerce orders using the same Square account you use to accept payments for POS transactions and be able to easily track transactions and orders from both directly in your Square Dashboard.
- Merchants must be based in one of the following countries and have the corresponding currency configured as the store's default currency:
- United States: USD
- United Kingdom: GBP
- Canada: CAD
- Australia: AUD
Setting up the Square Payment Gateway
1. Go to Store Setup › Payments.
2. You'll see a Square banner at the top of the page. Click Get Started.
3. You'll be brought to the Square Settings tab. Click Connect Square Account to set up or log into an existing Square account.
4. When you're finished, you'll be redirected back to the BigCommerce control panel. You are now ready to accept payments using Square.
You can automatically sync your products and stock levels between Square and BigCommerce with our built-in Square POS app. Learn more at Syncing Your Products with Square.
- Pricing and Fees
- Syncing BigCommerce and Square
- Account Eligibility
- Additional Features
- Troubleshooting and Payment Disputes
Pricing and Fees
What fees are associated with the gateway?
- There is a 2.9% + $0.30 transaction rate.
Syncing BigCommerce and Square
How do I transfer my Square products to BigCommerce? What about syncing inventory?
- You can automatically sync your products and stock levels between Square and BigCommerce with our built-in Square POS app. Learn more at Syncing Your Products with Square.
Can I see my BigCommerce orders in Square, or my Square orders in BigCommerce?
- You can view your BigCommerce orders in your Square control panel. At this time you cannot see your Square orders in your BigCommerce control panel, but this is planned for a later update.
What currencies and countries does the payment gateway support?
- Merchants must be in the United States(USD), Canada(CAD), United Kingdom(GBP), or Australia(AUD).
What items are restricted for merchants to sell?
- See Square's list of prohibited goods and services.
After I create an account, what is the waiting period before I can process transactions?
- You can begin accepting payments immediately after creating your account.
How long until a transaction's funds are transferred to my bank?
- Funds are sent following your deposit schedule, usually within 36 hours of the transaction.
Will I or my customers receive an additional email or invoice from Square?
- You and your customers through BigCommerce will only receive the BigCommerce receipt, not an additional Square receipt.
How soon after a transaction can I perform a refund?
- A refund can be initiated right after a payment has been completed. See Square's Refunds with Square.
Is there an amount of time after which I cannot perform a refund?
- Currently, refunds must be processed within 60 days of the original transaction.
Are there any fees for chargebacks/refunds?
- There are no fees for either chargebacks or refunds.
Are there any fraud filtering options available?
- There are no fraud filtering options. CVV and Zip Code checks are required on all transactions.
Does Square allow authorize-only or recurring/subscription payments?
- Square does not offer either of these features at this time.
Troubleshooting and Payment Disputes
Why did my client receive an error when trying to pay?
- Errors are only generated if the credit card number was entered incorrectly or if the card has insufficient funds. The most common cause is that the billing zip code provided doesn't match what the bank has on file. If you are having trouble, please feel free to call or email Square Support (email@example.com).
How are payment disputes handled?
- See Square's Resolving Payment Disputes and Chargebacks.
How do I contact Square's Support?