Common Payment Gateway Errors
Payment gateway errors occur when BigCommerce has sent order information to the payment gateway, and then the payment gateway returns the error to BigCommerce. If this article does not include the error that you are experiencing, we recommend that you contact the payment gateway for information on what the error means and how to resolve it.
Common reasons for errors include:
For a full list of error codes, see Amazon Pay | Error Codes.
Error: Override Duplicate Threshhold Not Allowed
Cause: The Allow Merchant Override setting is not enabled in your NMI virtual terminal. This can only be enabled by an NMI representative.
Resolution: Contact NMI Support and ask them to check the Allow Merchant Override setting in the Processor settings.
- Error: Seller accepts encrypted website payments only
- Error: Instant Payment Notifications are failing
- Error: Security Header is Not Valid 10002
- Error: The transaction was refused as a result of a duplicate invoice ID supplied
- Error: Response code: 23. Response message: Invalid account number
- Error: Response code: 26. Invalid Vendor Account
- Error: You do not have permissions to make this API call
Error: Seller accepts encrypted website payments only
Cause: This error is displayed because your PayPal Account Profile is set to only accept payments from encrypted buttons. This condition interrupts the payment process and displays the error message.
Resolution: Turn off Encrypted Website Payments in your PayPal account. To do this, follow the steps below.
1. Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click Profile icon to the right of the page next to the Log out button.
3. Once the popup appears click Profile and settings.
4. On the left click My selling tools from the menu.
5. Click Update to the right of Website preferences.
6. In the Encrypted Website Payments section, select Off.
7. Click Save.
Error: Instant Payment Notifications are failing
Cause: This issue can occur if your customer exits the checkout process before returning back to your store from PayPal (e.g. not clicking "Return to [store] to complete your order"). Learn more.
Resolution: Enable the IPN and set up an auto-return URL. Setting up an auto-return URL will automatically return your customers to your store so that they don't need to click the link.
Error: Security Header is Not Valid 10002
Cause: This error indicates an issue with the login information you are using for your PayPal connection.
Resolution: Remove your credentials, then re-enter them. If you copied and pasted the data, make sure there are no spaces before or after the information. We recommend first pasting them into a text editing program such as Notepad or TextEdit to ensure this.
If you continue to have issues, contact PayPal Support to have new credentials generated, then enter those new credentials (again pasting into a text editor to avoid extra spaces).
Error: The transaction was refused as a result of a duplicate invoice ID supplied
Cause: This error is seen when an account is being used or has been used with a different store. The Order IDs in your BigCommerce store are the same as those used with your other store, so PayPal is rejecting the transaction as a duplicate.
Resolution: To resolve this issue, you will find your other store's highest order ID and set BigCommerce order IDs to be much higher to ensure that there is no overlap.
1. In your PayPal account, locate the most recent order for your old store. (This will be the one with the highest order number.)
2. In BigCommerce, go to Store Setup › Store Settings and click on the Miscellaneous tab.
3. Scroll down to Order Settings. Enter a new Starting Order Number that is higher than the most recent order number for your other store. We recommend going up by at least 1000, or more if your other store is currently active.
Error: Response code: 23. Response message: Invalid account number
Cause: The customer entered an incorrect credit card number.
Resolution: Since this is an issue with the customer's credit card, there is not much you can do without having the correct credit card info. If you want to reach out to your customer, the Order ID is provided in the error message. You can look that order up in the Orders section and use the email address provided in the order details.
Error: Response code: 26. Invalid Vendor Account
Cause: This error message can be the result of one of the following:
- you just activated your account
- the login information is incorrect
Resolution: Ensure your account is at least an hour old. New accounts do not become active until at least an hour after it was created. Verify that all values (User, Vendor, Partner, and Password fields) are both correct values and proper case (all values are case sensitive).
Error: You do not have permissions to make this API call
Cause: PayPal Express checkout could be disabled in your PayPal Account settings:
Resolution: In your PayPal Account settings, under My Selling Tools, check under API access. Manage PayPal checkout settings and select Accept Paypal payments before API permissions are set up and click Submit.
PayPal powered by Braintree
For a full list of error codes, see Payments in BigCommerce: Declines.