BigCommerce SSL Certificate Options
An SSL certificate is issued by a trusted third party (like GeoTrust) for a specific domain or subdomain and verifies that a secure web page (like the checkout page) is properly encrypted, ensuring that all information passed between a user and the site is private.
BigCommerce gives you three options for getting an SSL certificate for your custom domain:
Use our free dedicated SSL certificate...
- All BigCommerce stores with a custom domain (e.g. mybcstore.com) installed after May 24, 2017 are automatically outfitted with a free, dedicated SSL certificate called Encryption Everywhere.
- Stores with a custom domain installed before that date can also enable it at any time.
Purchase an SSL certificate from BigCommerce...
- BigCommerce also offers paid SSL certificates verified by GeoTrust which offer additional security features like site seals, increased purchase protection, and Extended Validation.
Use a third-party SSL certificate...
- Stores on Pro and Enterprise plans also have the option of installing a third-party SSL certificate.
Stores without a custom domain (e.g. mybcstore.mybigcommerce.com) have their secure pages protected using the free BigCommerce shared SSL certificate.
Compare SSL Certificates
The following types of SSL certificates are available through BigCommerce:
- Encryption Everywhere
- GeoTrust QuickSSL®
- GeoTrust QuickSSL® Premium
- GeoTrust True BusinessID with Extended Validation (EV)
|Certificate||One Year||Two Year|
|GeoTrust QuickSSL®||$59.00 USD||$106.00 USD|
|GeoTrust QuickSSL® Premium||$149.00 USD||$268.00 USD|
|GeoTrust True BusinessID with Extended Validation (EV)||$299.00 USD||$538.00 USD|
Once you're ready to purchase an SSL certificate, see Installing a BigCommerce SSL Certificate to help walk you through the process.
SSL Certificate Features
- Sitewide https with padlock icon — displays a lock icon in the address bar of the browser on every page. Learn more about Sitewide HTTPS.
- Green address bar with EV Upgrader — The browser address bar will turn green to indicate an increased level of trust. EV Upgrader is the technology that lets browsers display the green bar with your organization’s name.
- Site seal
- Static seal — This is an image that can be placed on your website to show the issuer of your SSL certificate, which can improve consumer confidence.
- Dynamic seal — This image includes the current time and date to indicate the SSL certificate is valid, and displays information about your website when clicked.
- Warranty — An SSL certificate warranty offers purchase protection up to a certain dollar amount for your shoppers, giving them peace of mind.
- Validation type
- Domain — The certificate issuer ensures your right to use your domain name.
- Extended Validation (EV) — The certificate issuer ensures your right to use your domain name and thoroughly vets your business to offer maximum protection for consumers.
- Issued — This is the typical amount of time it takes for this certificate type to be issued and installed.