BigCommerce SSL Certificates
An SSL certificate is issued by a trusted third party for a specific domain or subdomain. It verifies that a secure web page (such as the checkout page) is properly encrypted, ensuring that all information passed between a user and the site is private.
BigCommerce gives you three options for getting an SSL certificate for your custom domain:
Use our free, dedicated SSL certificate...
- All BigCommerce stores with a custom domain (e.g. mybcstore.com) installed after May 24, 2017 are automatically outfitted with a free, dedicated SSL certificate called Encryption Everywhere.
- Stores with a custom domain installed before that date can also enable it at any time.
Purchase an SSL certificate from BigCommerce...
- BigCommerce also offers paid SSL certificates verified by GeoTrust, which offer additional security features, such as site seals, increased purchase protection, and Extended Validation.
Use a third-party SSL certificate...
- Stores on Pro and Enterprise plans also have the option of installing a third-party SSL certificate.
Stores without a custom domain (e.g. mybcstore.mybigcommerce.com) have their secure pages protected using the free BigCommerce shared SSL certificate automatically.
SSL Certificate Options
The following types of SSL certificates are available through BigCommerce:
- Encryption Everywhere
- GeoTrust QuickSSL®
- GeoTrust QuickSSL® Premium
- GeoTrust True BusinessID with Extended Validation (EV)
|Certificate||One Year||Two Year|
|GeoTrust QuickSSL®||$59.00 USD||$106.00 USD|
|GeoTrust QuickSSL® Premium||$149.00 USD||$268.00 USD|
|GeoTrust True BusinessID with Extended Validation (EV)||$299.00 USD||$538.00 USD|
Once you're ready to purchase an SSL certificate, see Installing an SSL to help walk you through the process.
SSL Certificate Features
- Sitewide https with padlock icon — displays a lock icon in the address bar of the browser on every page. Learn more about Sitewide HTTPS.
- Green address bar with EV Upgrader — The browser address bar will turn green to indicate an increased level of trust. EV Upgrader is the technology that lets browsers display the green bar with your organization’s name.
- Site seal
- Static seal — This is an image that can be placed on your website to show the issuer of your SSL certificate, which can improve consumer confidence.
- Dynamic seal — This image includes the current time and date to indicate the SSL certificate is valid, and displays information about your website when clicked.
- Warranty — An SSL certificate warranty offers purchase protection up to a certain dollar amount for your shoppers, giving them peace of mind.
- Validation type
- Domain — The certificate issuer ensures your right to use your domain name.
- Extended Validation (EV) — The certificate issuer ensures your right to use your domain name and thoroughly vets your business to offer maximum protection for consumers.
- Issued — This is the typical amount of time it takes for this certificate type to be issued and installed.
Installing an SSL
All BigCommerce stores with a custom domain installed are automatically outfitted with a free, dedicated SSL certificate called Encryption Everywhere, and stores with a custom domain installed before that date can opt into the free certificate at any time.
1. Go to Server Settings › SSL Certificate.
2. Select the domain for your SSL certificate (if you have more than one) from the drop-down menu.
3. Click Choose a certificate under Install an SSL certificate from BigCommerce.
3. Click Buy at the bottom of the SSL certificate type you would like to purchase (or Install for Encryption Everywhere). See SSL Certificate Options for pricing information and a breakdown of each option.
4. Verify that your Bill to details are correct. If not, click Edit.
5. Select an Approver Email address from the drop-down list of email addresses that have been preselected by your domain registrar, then click Confirm Purchase. Within a few minutes, you will receive an email asking you to verify your contact and ownership of the domain. If you do not receive this email after some time, or if you need to change the approver email, please reach out to our support team.
The free Encryption Everywhere SSL certificate requires an approver email. However, you will not actually receive an approval email (it's not necessary with the free certificate).
Once verified, your SSL certificate will be installed within 10 minutes. After this period, you will receive another email, confirming that the installation has been completed.
Note that certain SSL certificates, like True BusinessID with EV, may take 1-10 business days to process. See GeoTrust's article "How long does it take to receive an SSL certificate?" for more information.
How do I resend my SSL approval email? If you didn't receive the original approval email and need to resend it, you can do so from the Account Dashboard by clicking on SSL Certificates at the top of the screen. Locate your newly purchased SSL certificate and click View, then select Resend Activation Email.
Testing Your SSL Certificate
You can check your SSL certificate using the following tools:
- SSL Shopper's SSL Checker — check that your domain is using a properly-installed SSL certificate
- SSL Shopper's Certificate Decoder — check your SSL certificate's information, like expiration date
- Why No Padlock? — check individual secure URLs and get specific security errors if it detects any problems