Automatic Tax Calculation with Avalara AvaTax
BigCommerce has integrated with Avalara AvaTax to determine sales tax rates at checkout automatically. Avalara AvaTax makes setting up and calculating sales tax for your store much easier to manage.
Automatic sales tax calculation is only available to merchants operating inside the United States or Canada. Merchants collecting taxes outside of these countries will need to set up taxes manually.
Enabling Automatic Sales Tax Calculation with Avalara AvaTax
To get started with automatic sales tax calculation, go to Store Setup › Tax.
1. Click Set up.
2. If you already have an Avalara AvaTax account, click log in here. Otherwise, fill out the required information to create a free account. Note that the address provided will be considered where you have nexus or responsibility to collect sales tax.
What if I have nexus in more than one state? If you are responsible for collecting sales tax in multiple states, you will need to set up your local jurisdictions on your Avalara AvaTax account. See Assigning Local Tax Jurisdiction below for more details.
3. Once the account is created, the page will show options for changing the Tax Label display and a toggle to enable or disable document submission. You will also be sent an email with your account information for your records.
4. At this point, the store is set up for basic automatic tax calculations. To adjust your Automatic Tax Calculation, log in to your Avalara AvaTax account to set up local jurisdictions, tax exemptions, and more.
Assigning Local Tax Jurisdiction
If you have nexus in multiple states or local jurisdictions, the additional jurisdictions need to be adjusted from within your Avalara account. To learn more about setting up local jurisdictions, see About Local Jurisdictions on Avalara’s support site.
Assigning an Avalara Product Tax Code to a Product
Avalara product tax codes can be assigned to products one at a time via the control panel, or in bulk via a CSV product import.
1. Go to Products › View.
2. Click on the Product Name to open the Edit a Product page.
3. Enter the code in Avalara Product Tax Code. Click Download Tax Codes to get a full list of all product codes from Avalara’s website.
4. Save your changes.
Assigning an Avalara Product Tax Code to a Variant
Avalara product tax codes can be assigned to variants by importing or adding them manually in your Avalara AvaTax account. If you plan on importing your SKUs, you'll need to create a CSV with the following three columns:
- Item — the SKU code from BigCommerce for the variant
- ItemDescription — a comment associated with an item that describes the product, service, or charge. The same value can be used for both Item and ItemDescription. Duplicate descriptions are allowed.
- TaxCode — the Avalara Product Tax code for the variant
It’s important to note that there is a maximum of 100,000 items per import. If you must map more than 100,000 SKU codes to Avalara Product Tax Codes, you will need to perform multiple imports. It is also possible to create, read, update, and delete items in AvaTax using their API.
To assign an Avalara product tax code to a variant, you will need to log into your Avalara account, click Settings in the upper-right of the admin screen, then click Manage items with special tax treatment. From here you can add items one-by-one or import items in bulk using a CSV.
Assigning an Avalara Tax Exempt Category to a Customer
Avalara tax-exempt categories can be assigned to customers one at a time via the control panel, or in bulk via a CSV customer import. See a full list of Tax Exempt Category codes here.
1. Go to Customers › View.
2. Click on a customer’s name to edit their information.
3. For Tax Exempt Category, enter the appropriate customer type letter code or category name. Category names are defined in your Avalara control panel.
4. Save your changes.
Verifying Tax Rates
You can use Avalara's sales tax rate map to confirm proper tax rates are being calculated for a particular region. If there is any inconsistency between the rate reported at Avalara's calculator and what is reported by your store, please contact our support team for further investigation.
Do I have to pay to use Avalara AvaTax?
By default, BigCommerce merchants are set up with a free Avalara AvaTax account. Avalara does offer services you can pay for, but they are not required for basic sales tax calculation.
Where do I find my Company Code?
Your company code is created by you. It can be whatever you like, for example, a number, an abbreviation, or an acronym. It is required.
Can I use my AvaTax Account on multiple stores?
Yes, on your Avalara AvaTax account, you will add a company. See Add a Company from Avalara's help center for instructions. Once it is set up on your AvaTax account, go to your other store and log in with your Avalara Credentials during Tax setup. A list of your companies will display during the setup, select the company you want to associate with that store.
Can sales tax be calculated on international transactions through the Avatax integration?
Only orders between Canada and the United States will be calculated through Avalara. Customs, duties, taxes, and fees for other international transactions are not currently supported in BigCommerce’s integration with Avatax integration.
Why was a 10% tax rate applied? That is not correct.
A fallback tax rate of 10% happens when there is a failure to connect to the automatic tax calculation service, if there is no shipping origin address set up in the Shipping Manager or the customer's address could not be validated. Check the Shipping Manager and ensure there is a valid address set as a Shipping Origin. Check status.bigcommerce.com to see if there are any service performance issues with Avalara's service.
What if my taxes aren’t being calculated correctly?
You can check the status of servers that handle tax calculation by going to status.bigcommerce.com to see if there are any service performance issues with Avalara's service. If there are no issues with performance, check the following:
- If the tax rate is not calculating as you expect, login to Avatax and go to Settings to confirm you have selected the correct jurisdictions. If these are all correct, contact Avalara support
- Compare the tax between your Avatax account and BigCommerce. If these are different, contact BigCommerce support to report it.
Does Avalara AvaTax support B2B?
Our Avalara AvaTax integration does not support B2B transactions & duties, taxes & fees at this time. B2B support will be available in a future update.